Saturday, AUGUST 8th, 2015!
* This year's Six Mile Creek Festival is dedicated to the late Xavier Engle, our good friend, he'll be missed this year... we'll be having a riverside Viking burial for him and sending his ashes off in between the music - if you knew Xav or want to be a special part of this special send-off please bring flowers to put on the log raft for Xav*
*** THERE will be no food vendors this year! Bring food for yourself! ***
The purpose of the Six Mile Creek Whitewater & Bluegrass Festival is to bring everyone in the whitewater paddling community and also the music & arts community together to share a unique weekend of athletics, entertainment, the human connection and nature on the beautiful shores of Six Mile Creek.
Come experience the CHAOS of paddlers sprint racing through a narrow, whitewater canyon... guaranteed ear-to-ear grins! While you’re at it, come boogie on the shores of the river on Saturday night to some incredible, boot-stompin’ live music! EVERYTHING (live music, competition entry, festival entry, camping, parking) is FREE!!!!! As always, there will be a raffle for some sweet prizes, an awards ceremony for the races, live music, and some fire-spinning once the sun goes down!
However, I really need everyone to donate cash this year, as I've always lost money out of my own pocket to put this event on free for everyone... and I really want to be able to pay the bands this year... a $15 - $20 donation is really needed to help pay the set-up costs, portapotty rental, event insurance, misc expenses, bands, help buy a dome for the main stage, and keep this festival going year after year! **** There will be a cash donation box up front near the main stage, please put what you can in there to help make it possible to continue bringing everyone together every year at this festival****
DIRECTIONS: Drive 1 hour south of Anchorage on the Seward Highway towards the town of Hope. Main festival grounds are located at mile 3.4 of Hope Road. Look for festival signs.
PARKING: You can park off the shoulder of the road, but DO NOT park over the white lines or you will be towed. Don't block anyone in and make sure sure sure your car is completely off the road. They are very serious about towing, so please spread the word!!! Please be respectful and don't park on anyone's private property! Be creative and use your common sense.
*** there is a good chance that you might have to drop camping gear off at the festival area, and go drive your car down the road a ways and find a shoulder big enough to pull off over the white line. There is another large camping area around mile marker 1.
* Free camping! around the main festival grounds, no room for RV's though, tent camping only. There are plenty of free camping areas along the road to Hope, just be creative. There is also an official campground about 10 miles down the road past the town of Hope. Once again, be creative and use your common sense.
* PLEASE PACK OUT YOUR OWN TRASH!!!! It would be awesome to have everyone's help on Sunday morning cleaning up the area... the Chugach National Forest rangers will be assessing the area after the festival and it needs to be BETTER than it was before the festival to have the festival next year... I need everyone's participation to do this (pick up any trash/paper, fluff up the grass where your tent was, pick up any left-over food on the ground, etc)
** If you get to the main festival grounds at 1:00pm on Saturday and wonder where folks are at... YOU'RE MISSING THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE FESTIVAL!!!!... the extreme, mass-start sprint races 5 minutes back up the road!! (look for lots of parked cars off the Seward Hwy about a mile north of the Hope Road junction).
DIRECTIONS to the extreme race area mentioned above: *Competitors & spectators will leave the main festival grounds & drive up the road to the 1st canyon race area just off the Seward Highway about 1 mile north of the Canyon Creek bridge overpass on Saturday at 1:00p.m. sharp...*** you'll notice people leaving the main festival area, just use your intuition and follow them***
* If you want to volunteer, all you have to do is contribute somehow. I need volunteers to
- make a fire pit/collect firewood
- pick up trash and bring it to town/the Hope dump on Sunday morning
- help break down the main stage on Sunday morning
- help pack up Sunday morning
- help direct people towards parking
- river safety/rescue racers by boat/throwbag
-etc etc etc
IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or just help at the festival when it looks like help is needed.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 8th, 2015 at the main festival grounds:
- 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm: Angeline Moore
- 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm : Two Katfish( Kat Moore & Co)
**** Viking Burial Ceremony for Xavier Engle AND awards ceremony****
- 7:15 pm - 9:00 pm : Big Fat Buddha
- 9:30 pm - 11:00 pm : The Shoot Dangs
- 11:30 pm - 1:30 am : Blackwater Railroad Company
SATURDAY, AUGUST 8th, 2015:
11:00 am : all competitors/racers need to walk down to the main festival tent/dome on the shore of the river, grab a racing bib and sign your name, Bib number, and phone number on the sign up sheet. PLEASE return bibs to the main stage tent immediately after the races!
12:30 pm: racers and spectators leave main festival grounds at Boston Bar area and carpool/drive back north to the 1st canyon extreme race series site (5 minutes back towards Anchorage from the main festival site, about 1 mile north of the Seward Highway bridge over Canyon Creek, just before the Hope cut-off road... look for lots of parked cars off the side of the highway at 1:00pm.
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm : Downriver mass-start extreme race through the 3 biggest rapids of the 1st canyon (KAYAK, canoe, inflatable kayak)
2:00 pm: PACK RAFT mass-start extreme race through the 3 biggest rapids of the 1st canyon (pack rafts only)
2:30 pm: INFLATABLE POOL-TOY extreme mass-start race (inflatable pool-toy race...ride an alligator, shark, couch, whatever you want!... (normal whitewater gear is required (aka: drysuit, life jacket, helmet))... pack rafts don't count as an inflatable pool-toy:^
4:00 pm: everyone drives back to main festival area, awards ceremony, bonfire party, & live music begins. AWARDS will be around 7:00pm!
Here's a write-up from a few years back:
and a quick racing video:
and a video of some of the live music that will be happenin!:
* Cook Inlet Keepers
* Mooses Tooth Brewing Company
* Susitna Sled & Kayak
* Alaska Raft & Kayak
* Chugach Outdoor Center
* American Whitewater
* Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking
* Bills Distributing
* Knik Canoe & Kayak Club
* Great Harvest Bread Company
******* Any questions please email or if you want to volunteer help please Timmy @ email@example.com or sign up at the festival grounds*******